Now that you've got a job... What are some things I should bring and what can't I buy?
Here's a list of some essential things you may want to bring with you:
- Prescription Medication (Make sure it is in the original packaging from Chemist including the prescription overview)
- Anti-perspirant/Deodorant (Can be difficult to buy overseas)
- Most products are available, but if you prefer a specific brand, you may want to check if you can buy it.
- Western products may be more expensive than at home. Keep this in mind or buy local products to save money.
- Check the school's dress code and climate and bring appropriate clothing.
- The typical dress code is pants (not jeans), button up or polo shirt, sweater, decent shoes.
- Your electronic devices (iPad, phone, notebook, ect...)
- Check with your carrier, but most phones will work with a Chinese sim card. Make sure your phone is unlocked by your carrier before you go or it won't work. Some carriers do charge a fee for this.
- Be aware of files on your computer. The Chinese may check your hard drive at the airport for any illicit material (rarely, but better safe than sorry).
- Personal hygeine products
- Make a list of any allergies you have and request someone at your school to translate it so you can show stores/restaurants when getting food.
- DON'T bring any fresh food. Snacks and packaged food is ok.
- CLICK HERE to see a list of banned items.